Archive for the ‘Fixing broken stuff’ Category

19
May

   Posted by: RobPatton   in Fixing broken stuff, Tech

I have a love and hate relationship with this printer, this is my second, the first just stopped working, and they sent me a new one.  Its been pretty good, till today when it gave me the dreaded “No Cartridge Loaded” error message. This time I decided it was getting fixed, or hitting the trash.  Here is what I found.

Easy open. the sides pop off, 10 screws

 

Then I noticed the little pc board that connects to a chip in the cartridge was just floating around in the box

Pushed it back to its place, added some hot melt glue to hold it in, and reassembled.

 

 

 

Boom! Fixed, and back printing. Saved from the recycle bin.  Hope this helps someone else…

4
May

   Posted by: RobPatton   in Fixing broken stuff, Tech, Virtualization VMWare FreeNAS

After some recent upgrades:
Esxi 6.5
FreeNAS FreeNAS-9.10.2-U3 (e1497f269)

I noticed myself getting spammed with messages like:

May 4 13:21:42 138.128.161.188 2017-05-04T17:21:42.306Z serverblade1.robpatton.com vmkwarning: cpu0:67660)WARNING: ScsiDeviceIO: 6462: The Physical block size “16384” reported by the device naa.6589cfc0000005aac04099e50185e8c8 is not supported. The only supported physical blocksizes are 512 and 4096

FreeNAS acts as an iSCSI target with its LUNs backed by a ZFS Volume. This causes the blocksize to be reported as the ZFS size, which scares the host, I guess.

To help make the host feel better about itself, login to FREENAS and Sharing > Block (iSCSI) > Extents > Edit > Disable Physical Block Size Reporting

As shown here.

And it should feel better about itself.

For me, this did not work till I rebooted the FREENAS box, which means I had to vmotion all my stuff elsewhere. A fun exercise..

14
Oct

   Posted by: RobPatton   in Fixing broken stuff

kohler-sv590-3222-19hp-courage-vert-shaft-engine-15-amp-alternator-mtd-others-a73134fe37526c438799536a64dbb1d7

Turns out quite a few of the Kohler Courage 19HP motors have an issue with vibrations loosening the bolts, and then the case/block cracks from the vibrations. Well, guess who lived this problem?  <-  This guy.   This motor has had a rough life, and its at least 10 years old, so I wasn’t worried so much if this didn’t work, but I hope it does.

kohler19before

Here you can see the crack after I’ve cleaned it, and opened it up with a dremel tool.  During this process, I found a hole, and opened that up as much as I could, this should really give something to grab on to for the next step.  I also hit the entire area with some 100 grit to rough up the entire area.

download

At room temperature, J-B Weld sets in 4-6 hours to a dark grey color. A full cure is reached in 15-24 hours. J-B Weld has a tensile strength of 3960 PSI and sets to a hard bond overnight. It can withstand temperatures up to 550ºF when fully cured.

kohler19after

After mixing up a fair amount of JBW, and thoroughly de-greasing the crack area, I (as neatly as possible) covered the area.  Its not pretty, but its done.  After a couple hours it seems really solid, but I’ll wait the full 24 hours before I test! While the crack was narrow, I decided to try to cover as much surface as possible to have plenty of grab. Again, Dont care if its pretty, as long as the oil doesn’t spray out the side.

All thats left is to let it sit overnight, and de-grease it in the am before testing!